[Avodah] Underlying Truth of the Realm Holiness in Israel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 28 14:36:14 PDT 2018

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:28:41PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: On 3/16/2018 4:16 AM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: >I'll agree that nothing is inherently qadosh. Things need to*become*
: >qadosh. But the example of Shabbos suggests that this can be done by
: >Hashem, not only humans.
:
: The fruit of an apple tree that grows in a field in Eretz Yisrael
: during Shmittah has kedushah...

This is a better example than time. There is a reason reason why I
summarized the Meshekh Chokhmah's position as being about places or
things. I raised the same topic two years ago and was trying to
forestall RAM's question.

In <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol33/v33n029.shtml#10> I wrote about
the MC on Har Sinai vs Har haBayis (Shemos 19:13, and in Devarim 1:8 he
links it to qedushas EY) and the first Luchos vs the second.

Then I concluded with a question related to RAM's and why I tried to
forestall it:

> That said, I believe the MC contrasts Shabbos and shemittah which are
> muqdashim by HQBH and YT and yovel which we (Sanhedrin) sanctify. I
> do not know how it fits.

i> Well, that should get the ball rolling. Anyone have ideas to add?
> (Or mistakes to subtract from my formulation?)

I since saw that the MC on Behar works from a Sifra (via the Ramban)
that says "just as it says by Shabbos Bereishis 'Shabbos Lashem', so
to it says by Shevi'is, 'Shabbos Lashem'". And then singles them out as
not depending on beis din. Unlike Yom Tov or Yovel.

And the thread continued for quite a while. (Click on the subject line
in the archive link above.) But about the text of the luchos, not my
question.

For all I know, the MC does clearly spell all this out. Look at the
first MC in Behar. I got lost at his quote of the Zohar. He closes
saying that because Shabbos and Shemittah attest to Maaseh Bereishis,
they don't require qiddush BD. But how that fits his general model? I
don't know; unless all the talk about in between about Torah, teshuvah,
and cheirus mimal'akh hamaves addresses is.

Maybe shemittah fruit are different because they aren't qadosh in-and-of
themselves, but a derivative of qedushas ha'aretz which does depend on
human action, and whatever it is the MC says about maaseh bereishis.

Micha Berger             Life is a stage and we are the actors,
micha at aishdas.org        but only some of us have the script.
http://www.aishdas.org               - Rav Menachem Nissel
Fax: (270) 514-1507