[Avodah] Fake Matza - Hard Thin Matza is not a Baked Product ... it is not Bread = it is not Matza

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 28 03:04:17 PDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 10:07:39AM +1100, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: very thin (Dak Min HaDak) crackers never attain the status of bread no
: matter how much nor the circumstances in which they are eaten [Mishnah
: Berurah 168:37, see also ShaAr HaTziyun 168:36]

Except that we know that Ashkenazim were making hamotzi on cracker-like
matzos in the CC's day. For that matter, I would be shocked to learn that
the CC himself used anything but at his own seder!

So how could he possibly mean what you're saying he does?

: Such crackers/wafers are not deemed to be bread because they have not been
: baked but simply dried out.

Um, no. They're pas haba bekisnin at worst. We know crackers are considered
baked because they get a bori minei mezonos and not a ha'adamah.

: We might also add, that the dough which has so little water, cannot produce
: what the Halacha defines as bread. MDM [Modern Day Matza] is not Matza.

Who says there is a shiur on water / flour ratio, and if so, that it is more
than is used for contemporary Ashkenazi matzah?

Micha Berger             You will never "find" time for anything.
micha at aishdas.org        If you want time, you must make it.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Charles Buxton
Fax: (270) 514-1507