[Avodah] Soft vs dry matza

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 26 14:23:29 PDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 09:46:20PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
:                                                    Rav Eli Tzilicha
: feels that there are real advantages to eating soft matzot and these
: advantages over rule any minhag to use the cracker-like matzot.

1- I am not sure any such minhag to use cracker-like matzos actually
exists. Not every common practice rises to the level of minhag. It depends
if we switched as a chumerah, or as a pragmatic way to mass produce
matzah. (Before freezers, soft matzah has to be used within hours of
baking. I take mine out at urchatz for use by koreich. And any left out,
even in a plastic bag, is no joy to eat the next morning.)

:                                                                 Rav
: Yehoshua Dake feels that since Ashkenazim have lost the mesoret of how
: to make these matzot, they shouldn't make them or eat. However, Sefardim
: and Teimanim who do have a mesoret are permitted to do so.

: My question would be if a Sefardi rav says that a matza is perfectly
: kosher, why can't an Ashkenazi person eat it? It isn't as if there is an
: argument here about the halacha.

2- RHS answered your question for me halakhah lemaaseh about a decade
ago. I asked him about buying soft matzah from a Syrian matzah bakery
in Flatbush. He told me that the concept of soft matzah was just fine,
but it was up to me to research the quality of the (equally Syrian)
hechsher!

Micha Berger             You cannot propel yourself forward
micha at aishdas.org        by patting yourself on the back.
http://www.aishdas.org                   -Anonymous
Fax: (270) 514-1507