[Avodah] The size of a kazayit and of an amma

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 26 04:04:17 PDT 2018

Dear Ovedim,

In a parallel discussion the different estimates of kazayit were noted,
including how Rav Chaim Noe may have overestimated his shiurim by 10%
because the dirham grew by 10%.

Now all shiurim are somehow connected with one another, weight, volume and
length, are they? Hence, if our kezeitim and reviiyot are too large and
should be smaller, so should the amma. IIUC, a reviit of 75cc corresponds
to an amma of roughly 43.5-45cm.

An amma of 43.5-45cm would make many eiruvin passul. Therefore I ask, are
there any poskim who insist on an amma of 43.5-45cm? Does Rav Willig, who
paskens that a reviit is 75cc, hold that ammot are that small? Do other
poskim?

Kol utv,
--
Arie Folger