[Avodah] Please Pass the Kneidlach

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 21 11:43:41 PDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 09:10:40AM +0000, Professor L. Levine quoted from
Maane Simcha Foundation's Ask the Rabbi column:
: On the other hand, we find many poskim who were unconcerned about
: the stringent opinions and permitted the consumption of gebrokts. The
: Sha'arei Teshuvah (460:2) maintains that the basis for the chumrah was
: that at one time matzos were made very thick and the dough inside was
: not kneaded or baked well...

And, as already stated, the SA haRav made the opposite argument.

Besides "not kneaded or baked well" would mean assur even if the matzah never
got wet. It's about how well the flour and water was mixed.

In any case, it is unfair to the article to quote "the other hand" while
elliding the stong arguments the same article makes for the first hand.
(Including a rishon, the Ra'avan, and the possibility that avoiding gebrochts
is the implication of a gemara.)

And this:
> THE CHASAM SOFER'S MINHAG

> It is interesting to note that there is a discrepancy in the sources
> regarding the Chasam Sofer's custom vis-`a-vis eating gebrokts. On the
> one hand, he writes in a teshuvah (Yoreh Deah, #222, s.v. ela) that
> it is a "mitzvah and prishus" not to eat soaked matzah on Pesach. This
> would indicate that he did not eat gebrokts. On the other hand, we find
> in the Minhagei Chasam Sofer (10:25) that he ate knaidlach. (See also
> Shu't Maharshag [mahadura kama] 56:2.)

> It is possible that the Chasam Sofer held that there is room to be
> stringent according to halacha, but when it came to his minhagim,
> he did not wish to deviate from how his teacher, Rav Nosson Adler,
> conducted himself. Therefore, in his responsa he wrote what he held,
> while in his personal conduct he acted differently. Since he held that
> it was only a chumrah, he did not accept it upon himself as it meant
> changing a minhag. (See Shu't Sheivet Sofer, Orach Chaim #27; Sefer
> Moadim l'Simcha, vol. V, pg. 442.)

Micha Berger             What you get by achieving your goals
micha at aishdas.org        is not as important as
http://www.aishdas.org   what you become by achieving your goals.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Henry David Thoreau