[Avodah] When should I prepare the salt water for the Seder?

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:01:59 PDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Professor L. Levine via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> From the OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
>

> Q. When should I prepare the salt water for the Seder?
>
> A. The salt water should be prepared before Shabbos. This is because
Shulchan Aruch (OC 321:2) rules that one may not prepare a large amount of
salt water on Shabbos, since this was done in the process of tanning hides.
The Mishnah Berurah (321:11) defines a large amount as more than one needs
for Shabbos.

The Mishnah Berurah doesn't say that at all, in fact he looks from exactly
the opposite perspective. He says that the issur is making more than one
needs for Shabbat, and the reason that making a large amount is asur is
because it looks like preparing for after Shabbat.