[Avodah] When should I prepare the salt water for the Seder?

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Mar 19 02:45:22 PDT 2018

>From the OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. When should I prepare the salt water for the Seder?

A. The salt water should be prepared before Shabbos. This is because Shulchan Aruch (OC 321:2) rules that one may not prepare a large amount of salt water on Shabbos, since this was done in the process of tanning hides. The Mishnah Berurah (321:11) defines a large amount as more than one needs for Shabbos. Since it is difficult to figure out exactly how much salt water one needs, the salt water should be prepared before Shabbos. If one forgot to prepare salt water before Shabbos, the Shulchan Aruch Harav (473:19) rules that one should make only a very small amount of salt water, which will only be enough for the dipping of the Karpas. For those who also have the custom to dip an egg in salt water, they may make enough to be used for the Karpas and the egg.