[Avodah] lashon hara

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 15 12:11:33 PDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 08:01:04PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: My comment to a Lashon Hara Shiur-Your thoughts?

: I pretty much agree with what you said in your shiur. I would simply add
: that most of the standard shiurim (an area that I actually have expertise
: :-)) usually end not just with the seven item checklist but saying that
: most situations are complex and that you must consult with rabbinic
: authority. This to me has always seemed a real punt as in real life you
: can't consult all the time. The key in my humble opinion is to develop a
: sense that allows one to function in the real world based on role models.

Maybe the typical speaker believes he chose a topic interesting enough to
speak about because it has complexities that people shouldnt be fielding
on their own, without consulting their own poseiq. So its not a matter
of in real life you cant consult all the time because most of the time
they arent shiur-worthy questions.

As for your solution: to develop a sense that allows one to function in
the real world based on role models. I think that marks you as basically
a mimeticist doing whats right by copying rather than studying in the
abstract. Although only basically because of the conscious choice of
who is a roll model.

I know (from the response to the above comment when posted on
Torah Musings) that
> ... these halachot create a type of fuzzy logic system that just
> studying the rules is insufficient to get a true sense of how to weight
> conflicting priorities and require someone to learn how to fish rather
> than continually coming back for a piece

Yes, when things are no sufficiently algoritmic to be able to decide
from study alone, one needs shimush and immersion in the culture. This
is what mimeticism does best -- the non FORMal education.

But I think it's unfair to expect someone giving a shiur who is neither
the audience's primary rav or rebbe to teach them how to fish. It's a
one-shot discussion.

Micha Berger             One doesn't learn mussar to be a tzaddik,
micha at aishdas.org        but to become a tzaddik.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507