[Avodah] Missing Hearing a Word of the Megillah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 28 12:01:57 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 02:40:36PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

:> Q. If I miss one word of the Megillah reading, have I fulfilled my
:> obligation of hearing the Megillah?

:> A. The Mishnah Berurah (O.C. 690:48) writes that if one misses a single
:> word, the obligation of reading the Megillah was not fulfilled. There
:> may be a difference between men and women in this regard. The Rama
:> (O.C. 689:2), based on Tosfos (Megillah 4a), writes that a woman's
:> obligation of Megillah is to "hear" the Megillah...

The phrasing in the AhS (OC 690:12) is "lishmoa milah bemilah". The
MB is even more explicit "vetzarikh hashomeia' leha'azin ozno velishmoa
kol teiva veteiva".

The question talks about "hearing" every word, but as the answer makes
clear, the obligation is to *listen*.

So, when the Rama says (based on the Mordechai, the source in Tosafos
is the teshuvah writer's conjection, not the Rama's citation) a women is
mevarekhes "lishmoa megilah" -- does it mean "leha'azin oznahh"?

If a woman is in the room and her mind wanders... So she heard every
word whether she happened to pay attention aside, was she yotzeit?

Micha Berger             Strength does not come from winning. Your
micha at aishdas.org        struggles develop your strength When you go
http://www.aishdas.org   through hardship and decide not to surrender,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      that is strength.        - Arnold Schwarzenegger