[Avodah] All food decrees driven by social isolation policy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 21 07:49:55 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 01:05:41PM +1100, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: The Gemara AZ 35, Rashi explains - SheLaKos, food cooked even in and with
: clean utensils, they are ALL prohibited due to Chasnuss.

Why "ALL"? This is simply bishul aku"m, no?

: AZ 36, oil was prohibited even though NTLifGam is permitted. See Kovets
: Teshuvos Reb  Y Sh Elyashiv Vol 3:115, that Shemuel really was motivated
: because of Chasnuss...

Shemu'el? Daniel! Stam shamnam is like stam yeinam, and explicitly mishum
chasnus. Or at least it could have been, had it been equally nispasheit
bekhol Yisrael. Which is Rav's explanation for the lack of issur today.

I don't have qobeitz teshuvos RYSE. But it would seem to me logical to
point out that what prohbited those keilim to begin with was still the
gezeira mishum chasnus of the oil trapped in them. After all, Shemu'el
isn't explaining Daniel, he is explaining how Rebbe's court had the
authority to vote away Dani'el's legislation. Shemu'el is saying that
he believes it was repealed in Rebbe's day as a side effect of pasqening
about na"t lifgam. But the issur still was proposed for the commonly
given reason.

In any case, no one questions the mishum chasnus motive of bishul
aku"m or stam yeinam (or shamnam). What is the new data you're using to
generalize from?

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507