[Avodah] Besamim and Havdala

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 21 07:26:48 PST 2018

On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 08:22:43PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: But there's no real *need* to interrupt Havdala Al Hakos for the besamim,
: is there? Why was it set up like that? Why couldn't Besamim simply be part
: of Seder Motzaei Shabbos, either before or after Havdala Al Hakos?

I can't answer your main question, because I don't feel it's a real "*need*",
and therefore I can't explain why besamim and eish aren't a hefseiq between
hagafen and drinking. If there is no requirement lachazor acharav, then
how are they critical enough to not be a hefseiq? Obviously the answer
is to make a chiluq in the criteria for criticality, but quantitative?
Qualitative?

However, besamim and aish give you the hana'ah necessary for the berakhah
of lehavdil. One braces the soul for the departure of Shabbos, the other
uses hav'arah, proving hana'ah from it being chol. (Hana'ah? Looking at
the shadows of your fingertips and your nails? Don't blame me, I'm just
the messenger.) Without both, you'd be making a berakhah more like Dayan
ha'emes -- kesheim shemivorkhim al hatov...

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l