[Avodah] Talking During Torah Reading

elazar teitz emteitz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 03:52:28 PST 2018

RDYitzchok Levine wrote:

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Professor L. Levine <llevine at stevens.edu>
wrote:

<Yesterday in shul when I asked someone not to talk during Krias Ha Torah
he asked me for a source that says one is not allowed to talk between the
aliyahs.  I quick google search turned up the following. (From https://goo.
gl/WG5w2e)

<"The congregation is not permitted to talk while the Torah is being read,
not even about matters of Torah study. (The need to be silent begins once
the Torah has been opened to recite the blessings over it – Mishnah Brurah
146:4.)This is true even between aliyos. (There may be room to be lenient
regarding Torah study between aliyos – MB 146:6.) One may not leave the
shul while the Torah is being read (even if he already heard the Torah and
even if there’s still a minyan without him – MB 146:1). One may, however,
exit in-between aliyos if necessary. ">

     Google is selective in its psak. The Aruch Hashulchan,cites the Beis
Yosef (the source of the MB), and says that his reason for prohibiting is
not the speaking per se, but because it might continue into the aliya. He
adds that the Bach and The Magen Avraham permit brief conversations,
especially nowadays when lengthy breaks occur because of mi shebeirachs.

     I think this a classic example of "heter meiah rabbonim" -- there are
more than 100 rabbonim who talk bein gavra l'gavra.

EMT