[Avodah] Talking During Torah Reading

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Feb 18 02:14:34 PST 2018

Yesterday in shul when I asked someone not to talk during Krias Ha Torah he asked me for a source that says one is not allowed to talk between the aliyahs.  I quick google search turned up the following.  YL

>From https://goo.gl/WG5w2e

The congregation is not permitted to talk while the Torah is being read, not even about matters of Torah study. (The need to be silent begins once the Torah has been opened to recite the blessings over it - Mishnah Brurah 146:4.)This is true even between aliyos. (There may be room to be lenient regarding Torah study between aliyos - MB 146:6.) One may not leave the shul while the Torah is being read (even if he already heard the Torah and even if there's still a minyan without him - MB 146:1). One may, however, exit in-between aliyos if necessary.