[Avodah] Haetz and Shehecheyanu

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 15 10:22:59 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 06:40:11PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: BUT - do not lose sight of this question being a different one than
: we've been discussing so far. Namely: *IF* the Shehecheyanu is going
: to be said, is it before or after the Haetz?

I am still satisfied with my earilier answer.

The berakhah isn't really on eating, it's on the excitement (assuming the
emotion's existence for the moment) of having a new fruit. And it's not
a chiyuv, it's a reshus, so we are nohagim to wait until we eat the fruit.

But even with this minhag, the shehechiyanu is still not on the
eating. The din was made about seeing, even with the minhag, it's still
a berakhah about seeing. We just utilize it being a reshus rather than
a chiyuv not to make the berakhah on the first re'iyah. So why do we
have to wait until the exact moment before eating -- without even the
berakhah as a hefseiq?

To my own mind, therefore, the question of the parenthetic comment above
is really more determinant. We're trying to understand which joy the
berakhah is on without necessarily feeling real joy at all!

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger             When one truly looks at everyone's good side,
micha at aishdas.org        others come to love him very naturally, and
http://www.aishdas.org   he does not need even a speck of flattery.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabbi AY Kook