[Avodah] Haetz and Shehecheyanu

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:40:11 PST 2018

.
> And that the shift from an agrarian society's excitement that
> a new crop came in to what we do today is a much bigger change.
> One that I wonder whether shehechiyanu really is appropriate
> altogether.
> ... There is no experience of a new season. Whether or not you
> wait to actually eat it.

Yes, I can totally agree with this. It is an important question; maybe
we should drop this Shehecheyanu entirely? My suspicion is that it may
simply fade away of its own accord, simply from a lack of relevant
situations, exactly like the Shehecheyanu on seeing someone again
after a long while. Truth be told, I have made Rosh Hashana several
times without a new fruit, because despite my going to the market, I
simply didn't see any fruit that was both new and tasty.

BUT - do not lose sight of this question being a different one than
we've been discussing so far. Namely: *IF* the Shehecheyanu is going
to be said, is it before or after the Haetz?

Akiva Miller