[Avodah] mixing nusach hatfila

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Thu Feb 8 21:47:53 PST 2018

On 2/8/2018 5:04 AM, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Is anyone aware of halachic sources that deal with the question of
> mixed nusach?

I once read an on line source which said that Rav Ovadia was OK with a
beit knesset not having a fixed nusach but he didn't like it when the
nusach was mixed during any one tefilla or switching from Ashekenaz in
Shacharit to something else for Mussaf.

[Email #2.]

> he told me this was the shul, minhag due to shalom bayit. [BTW -- I'm
> told that R'OY held bnai eidot hamizrach should say the 13 middot
> privately with trop at an ashkenazi minyan.] Is anyone aware of
> halachic sources that deal with the question of mixed nusach?

BTW the Tzohar Rosh HaShanah/Yom Kippur minyanim mix the nusachim for
the piyuttim. Where I go there are two shaliach tzibburs - one to say
the Ashekanzi parts and one to say the Sefardi parts. So it isn't just
shalom bayit but an attempt to have everyone feel at home.

Ben