[Avodah] Can one bake fish and meat in an oven at the same time?

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Feb 7 08:49:12 PST 2018

The following is from today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis.  YL

Q. Can one bake fish and meat in an oven at the same time?

A. The Gemara in Pesachim (76b) cites an argument whether a dry kosher item baked in an oven together with a dry non-kosher food is prohibited, even if there was no physical contact between the two. Do we say, raicha milsa, aroma is significant, or raicha lav milsa, aroma is not significant? The Rashba writes that even the lenient opinion that holds aroma is not significant, allows this is only bidieved, after the fact, if the baking already took place, but lichatchia, before the fact, kosher and non-kosher foods should not be baked simultaneously in an oven. The Shulchan Aruch (YD 108:1) rules like the lenient view, that raicha lav milsa, aroma is not significant, bidieved, after the fact, but lichatchila, before the fact, kosher and non-kosher foods should not be baked together.

What is the status of raicha, aroma, with respect to meat and fish? The Rama writes (YD 116:2) that we treat meat and fish exactly like kosher and non-kosher: Bedieved, after the fact, once the baking took place, the foods can be consumed because aroma is insignificant, but lichatchila, before the fact, fish and meat should not be baked together in one oven. On the other hand, the Shach 116:1 quotes the Be'er Sheva who maintains that fish and meat are treated more stringently since we are dealing with a situation of sakana, danger. Aroma poses a danger even bedieved, and one may not eat meat and fish that were baked together. Common practice is to follow the lenient view of the Rama (See Aruch HaShulchan YD 116:10).

Our discussion relates to dry fish or meat. If the fish or meat contains liquid, there is an issue of zeiya, steam, and there may be a concern even bedieved if baked together.

It is noteworthy that if either the meat or fish are covered while they are baking, there is no problem of reicha, and this may be done lichatchila (YD 108:1).