[Avodah] Haetz and Shehecheyanu

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 30 12:43:57 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 03:22:33PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
: Yes, but *why* do you assume that the person has eaten grapes?

Grapes come into season in late summer or early fall -- unsurprisingly
in time for Chag haAsif. So by now, most of us on Avodah have had this
year's grapes. My statement wasn't hypothetical. I was offering pragmatic
advice on how avoid the problem. Not an assumption, but a recommendation.

By using one of the 7 minim that is ha'eitz that you did happen to eat
already, you do avoid needing to make both berakhos on the same new fruit.
And there is no problem with choosing one of the 7 minim first.

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke