[Avodah] Haetz and Shehecheyanu

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 30 12:19:32 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 03:00:17PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
: actually olives & dates have priority over grapes.  But the simple
: answer is that the MB doesn't presume either that you have grapes at
: that moment, or that you have already eaten grapes that season.

The reisha yes (doesn't presume you have). The seifa -- the whole
point was to be yotzei ha'eitz with something that does not call
for a shehechiyanu. My assumption was you DID already eat the season's
grapes. Therefore, one can get ha'eitz out of the way without making
the berakhah wait for shehechianu AND shehechianu doesn't have to wait
for ha'eitz.

: But I don't get why we need this whole alternative in the first
: place. What's wrong with saying Shehecheyanu first, since the chiyuv
: comes first?

Yes, that fits with what I cited from the AhS. Thanks for spelling it
out, I didn't catch it.

Micha Berger             The purely righteous do not complain about evil,
micha at aishdas.org        but add justice, don't complain about heresy,
http://www.aishdas.org   but add faith, don't complain about ignorance,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but add wisdom.     - R AY Kook, Arpelei Tohar