[Avodah] Segulos (was Parashas Ha'mon - A Segulah for Paranassah!)

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Jan 28 10:54:43 PST 2018

On 28/01/18 11:25, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>> In addition, why would anyone think that his or her Yahadut is the
>> standard (normative) Yahadut? Everything else is somehow strange,
>> requires an apology, second best?

> We are talking about segulos and if they are a normative part of
> Yahadus. Here is what Rav Shimon Schwab had to say about segulos.

And immediately you provide another example of exactly the point RBW was
making.  Since when was R Schwab the posek of all Judaism; why is his
opinion more authoritative than that of, say, the Rimanover who
originated the segulah we were originally discussing?  How can you cite
him in order to rule anyone with a different opinion out of Judaism?
This narrow doctrine you are preaching seems not to be Judaism but
Puritanism.

[Email #2. -micha]

On 28/01/18 12:52, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> On 1/28/2018 6:25 PM, Prof. Levine wrote:
>> We are talking about segulos and if they are a normative part of
>> Yahadus.   Here is what Rav Shimon Schwab had to say about segulos.
>> (From https://goo.gl/fZVeKm The Kishke segulah Part II)

> I understand and respect people who hold on to their minhagim. However,
> if other chose to change, az mah?  This claim of "this isn't the Judaism
> that I grew up with" is true but irrelevant.

It's not just those who choose to change that RYL has a problem with;
it's also those whose *are* holding on to their minhagim, which happen
to be different from those he grew up with.  He seems to expect them to
abandon their minhagim and choose his.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper