[Avodah] Kinapping (was: Tzar Ba'alei Chaim)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 24 07:33:05 PST 2018

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:22:07PM +0000, Chana Luntz via Avodah wrote:
: But given that even in the machlokus between the Rambam and the Ramban on
: the extent of coverage of the shiva mitzvoth Bnei Noach, both extend them
: beyond the minimal scope as written (otherwise where does kidnapping
: fall?)...

My first thought was that it would fall under geneivah.

My second thought was that "lo signov" in the 10 diberos is the hasra'ah
for kidnapping, as the diberos only include dinei nefashos. AND, the 10
diberos are considered avos that include all 613 mitzvos. (R Saadia Gaon,
in his Azharos, goes through the exercise, but hebrewbooks.org's copy
of Qoveitz Maasei Yedei Geonim appears to be broken.) So maybe simple
theft falls under kidnapping!

My third thought was that "lo signov" in the 10 diberos is the hasra'ah
for kidnapping someone into the slave trade, as a person is only killed for
kidnapping if they then sell their victim.

Which leaves me either back at ground zero or at my "first thought".

Micha Berger             Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
micha at aishdas.org        heights as long as he works his wings.
http://www.aishdas.org   But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter