[Avodah] Chalav Yisrael - Donkey Milk - its for donkeys - Halachic sources

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jan 24 07:26:38 PST 2018

On 24/01/18 03:33, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
>   - therefore [Yitten HaDin=it makes sense? It seems the RaMBaM uses
> this expression but once in MTorah] *all* milk in the possession of a gy
> is prohibited as he may have adulterated it with non-K milk
> however the gys cheese is permitted since non-K milk will not produce cheese
>
> It is clear this gys cheese is Kosher in spite of being made with animal
> rennet  as the gy has not contacted the OU to get rennet with a Hechsher.
> nor has he employed a Mashgiach supervisor to ensure and verify he has
> not used non-K rennet

No, it is not.  How do you know he used animal rennet, and if he did how
do you know he didn't use it from a geshochtene animal?  That's why it's
not assur min haTorah, but the chachamim forbade it, regardless of what
sort of rennet he used.

> So there we have it - Chazal did-not/could-not include in the Ch
> Yisrael decree a ban on cheese manufactured by the gy dairy farmer -
> because everyone knows that even if the gy uses a mixture of K and non-K
> milks, the cheese making process filters out all the non-K milk.

First, it doesnt' filter out all the non-K milk; there is still the
leftover milk which remains on the surface and is forbidden. Second, if
the milk was not produced specifically for cheese, you can't kasher it
by making cheese out of it.  (Rama end of 115:1)

> In other words there is no need and there was therefore no decree
> ever made that required cheese be made from ChYisrael.

Not true at all.  Rama 115:2 explicitly requires that lechatchila
cheese, *even when made by a Jew* must be made only with CY, and if it
was not he permits it only bediavad.

> Accordingly, until the cheese decree was enacted, we would pop over
> to Xtopher to monitor our pint of milk and then, on the way out, we
> would purchase a pound of his cheese.
What makes you think the gezera on milk came first?

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper