[Avodah] Chalav Yisrael - Donkey Milk - its for donkeys

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 15:49:37 PST 2018

.
R' Meir G. Rabi wrote:

> Chazal made their food decrees in order to build barriers to
> socially isolate us Yidden from our Gyshe neighbours. The Kashrus
> aspects were in the main, arguments to persuade us to accept them.
>
> So it is more accurate to say that Chazal used the ikky value of
> possibile adulteration with pig milk, to successfully promulgate
> Chalav Yisrael and ensure it gained acceptance.

Do you have any evidence for this?

It seems to me that the evidence is exactly the reverse: Chazal were
quite clear that the reasoning behind Bishul Akum and Pas Akum (and a
few other halachos, but those will suffice for now) were to "socially
isolate" us. They saw no need for additional persuasion to ensure
acceptance.

In fact, a few days ago, I posted about the fact that Bishul Akum and
Pas Akum specifically allow us to enter territory that is somewhat
dangerous from an ingredient and keilim perspective. Just to give one
tiny example: If Bishul Akum was instituted for kashrus reasons, it is
incredible that Chazal allowed us to merely start the fire [or, for
you sefardim, to place the pot on the fire] and then walk away. They
would have required the Jew to remain on-site for the remainder of the
cooking -- surely to prevent treif ingredients, but at least to insure
that the fire didn't go out and get relit!!! But NO, they made one
tiny requirement to insure a mashehu of social isolation, and
specifically allowed us to rely on our own common sense for the
kashrus aspects.

If Chalav Akum and Gevinas Akum were for social isolation, don't you
think they would have said so?

Akiva Miller