[Avodah] Are Vegan Restaurants Kosher

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jan 18 13:11:40 PST 2018

On 17/01/18 23:51, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:

> Myths perpetrated to reinforce the profit making element of Kashrus
> MYTH - employees cook their private non-K food with the restaurant's
> equipment.
> FACT - A) as we saw, Halacha does not support this.
> FACT - B) with today's propensity to sue, food establishments are
> extremely vigilant to establish, maintain and enforce, very strict
> guidelines regarding what goes on in the kitchen and what the employees
> may bring into the premises.

This is *NOT* a myth, it is a widespread practice in the restaurant
industry, and since you supervise restaurants you must know this very well.

Another *fact* about modern commercial kitchens is that there is no such
thing as a keli that is not ben yomo.  In a home kitchen we may have a
piece of equipment that is only used for a specific dish, which we might
only make twice a month.  In a commercial kitchen if a dish is not
ordered several times a day it is removed from the menu and if a piece
of equipment is not used daily it is removed from inventory.  Inventory
has a carrying cost.  So any purported heter that depends on stam kelim
einan bnei yoman must be ruled out.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper