[Avodah] chazakot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jan 18 13:08:53 PST 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 06:55:34PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Is anyone aware of any social psychology experiments which would
: inform on the current status of chazakot of chazal? (e.g., ein adam
: choteh v'lo lo, ein adam meiz panav lfnei bal chovo)

The BY (EH 17) as explained by the Sefei Chemed (Kelalim 1:388) says
that we can no longer rely on ein eishah mei'izah paneha lifnei baalahh,
and should only invoke it lechumerah.

(I seem to recall the AhS recently (first 37 se'ifim of CM) saying the
same about mei'iz panav lifnei ba'al chovo, but now I can't find it.)

In contrast to RYBS's objection to R' Rackman's position that "tav
lemeisiv" doesn't apply. If you recall, I had first thought that his
objection was spoecific to tav lemeisiv, since it can be taken as an
expression of "ve'el isheikh teshuqaseikh", Chavah's onesh in Bereishis
3:16.

However, R' Ari Kahn put a transcription up on line