[Avodah] Are Vegan Restaurants Kosher?

Isaac Balbin micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 17 19:01:48 PST 2018

A number of people have mentioned Bishul Akum. One needs to know *where*
such a vegan restaurant is located. Let us assume it is a Jain restaurant
in Delhi. If someone is travelling in India there are already kulos. There
is almost nothing that can be bought and one eats out of a suitcase
(as I did for many years). As such, one needs to look carefully at
each issue and if there are a series of Rabbinic infractions one may
be able to be meikel beshaas hadchak. For instance one can commence by
knocking out Bishul Akum by following the Baal HaMaor? (not sure if I
remember correctly) that its only food cooked in a Goy's home that is
assur. Anywhere else us fine because we don't worry about Chasnus. Then
one can start to consider the Keilim as 24 hours old and then any laws
of bittul etc I mention this only because the *context* of a question
is also important.