[Avodah] Fwd: VA'EIRA "Too Much Dust Clouds the Mind with Lust"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jan 7 13:17:18 PST 2018

On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 09:15:01AM -0500, Richard Wolberg forwarded an
adaptation adapted from Rabbi Yosef Kalatsky and Torah Tidbits that
assumes:
> Rabbenu Bachya explains why the monarch of Egypt was called "Pharaoh."
> He says that the letters spelling "afar" (dust/earth) are contained
> in the name "Pharaoh."
> Meaning that the Egyptians only believed in the earthiness of
> existence. For the Egyptians, spirituality did not exist.

The question is how Rabbeinu Bachya would understand the Book of the
Dead and the whole business of embalming Pharoahs, buring them with
their valuables (including slaves) to prepare them for the afterlife.

Maybe that's just it... Because everything has to be gashmi, even their
notion of afterlife is physical.

I don't know. My initial reaction was to question Rabbeinu Bachya's
history because they had a concept of reincarnation altogether. And
what's with all those gods? Everything in earshy existence called
back to some spiritual force.

I am guessing his statement was something more nuanced than what made
it through to the Torah Tidbit.

Anyone know the maqor?

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller