[Avodah] neural networks and halacha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jan 5 03:03:22 PST 2018

Another thought:

I didn't think AI could do the job at all. But say I'm wrong, and (like
reading images in radiology and some other tasks) AIs can pick up things
better than a poseiq:

Many (most?) rishonim and acharonim have taken eilu va'eilu literally,
that both answers are right, and that (unlike the Maharal) this is a rule,
and not something specific to Beis Hillel and Beis Shammai.

A poseiq of this inclination would believe that there are multiple
right answers. An AI finding one sevara wouldn't mean to him that the
sevara he came up with was wrong. He would weigh each sevara on their
own merits, and any trust in the AI's ability to find a good sevara
shouldn't translate into a fear of concluding otherwise.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             If a person does not recognize one's own worth,
micha at aishdas.org        how can he appreciate the worth of another?
http://www.aishdas.org             - Rabbi Yaakov Yosef of Polnoye,
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  author of Toldos Yaakov Yosef