[Avodah] Historicity of Aggadta

H Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 10:56:51 PST 2018

> On 1/2/2018 4:40 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> ... The story of the Chanukah oil
>> might not be an aggadic story, as the chiyuv of pirsumei nisa is impossible
>> without knowing the neis. This is the same reason the Rambam records the
>> story in the Yad, no?
If Chazal were not interested in the historical veracity of events they
reported, then one could easily argue that the story about the pach
shemen is metaphor; and the kindling of lights is to symbolize,
celebrate and publicize the miraculous victory of the Maccabees that
brought about ''the freedom to worship...concealed in darkness ... now
brought to light'' (Josephus). (Of course, even this is saying that when
Chazal reported a military victory of the few against the many, etc..,
they meant it historically, which according to you is not their concern.
Could be the whole thing is metaphor for Chazal's belief that good
triumphs over evil.)
>> ... You
>> are arguing as though I said that the Rambam concidered EVERY aggadic
>> story ahistorical.
>>
>> What I said was, according to the Rambam none of them were repeated for
>> the sake of history. Which then leaves the matter of historicity open
>> to personal opinion.
I agree Chazal did not report history solely for the sake of history,
sans a lesson from it.

That doesn't mean the lesson was their exclusive concern, and they were
unconcerned about the historic veracity of the event they connected the
lesson to.

But your your rendition of the proof text you brought indicated just
that, and not that . You claimed it proved that all of Chazal's
statements (and not just the implausible ones) are intended solely for
sublime concepts. Which means Rambam's stand on the matter of
historicity is not open to personal opinion, but that Chazal and he were
definitely unconcerned about it.

Thus my counterpoints from Rambam's writings where he does express such
concern and/or spontaneously and innocently repeats Midrashim as
historic fact.

And as for deducing from Rambam's alleged remark (that ''all the words
of Chazal are expressing inyanim elokiyim/elyonim'') that the Rambam
held that their intent was /only/ in those matters, would you conclude
the same from this passage from the 8th Y'sod HaDaas?

''Kol dibbur v'dibbur min HaTorah yeish bahen chochmos upela-im l'mi
she-mayvin osom v'lo hu-saga tachliss chochmasam...''

''All the statements in the Torah contains chochmos upela-im for one
who  understands them, and [yet] their ultimate wisdom is unfathomable.''

Shall one conclude from this that the Rambam holds that the Torah's only
intent was for these wondrous concepts, and that it is not concerned
with the historic veracity of the lives of the Avos, of Yetsias
Mitzrayim and Mattan Torah?
>> : And I refer you again to my point(posted Tue, 26 Dec 201, Message 10)
>> : about the Rambam's felt need to identify which aggadic reports were
>> : really reports of dreams and which were not...
>>
>> He felt a need to reassure the rationalist that his mesorah isn't teaching
>> things that were disproven philosophically.
I think you missed my point. That reassurance is already accomplished by
the alleged position that in /all/ their comments, plausible as well as
implausible, the intent is exclusively in the (sublime) message, and the
veracity of the event is irrelevant.

But, if he held that veracity of events reported was of concern, and
that only implausible reports contain inyanim elokyim, there is reason
for the Rambam to go out of his way to categorize some reports as
reports of dreams.

I posted separately about the translation of Rambam's Arabic, and how
correctly translated it does not indicate that,
>> ... mashal is the way of communicating deep stuff -- but it's
>> ALL deep stuff.

http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol36/v36n001.shtml#14 (see paragraph
beginning, ''--Two types of statements'')

Zvi Lampel