[Avodah] Nogea Badavar

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jan 4 07:54:09 PST 2018

On 04/01/18 00:20, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> I recently heard a Rav say that one who is considering retirement should
> not ask their local Rav about retiring if they are a major contributor
> to that Rav’s institutions, due to the concept of nogea badavar
> (interested party). I couldn’t help but wonder where one draws the line
> (i.e., why isn’t it always a case of nogea bdvar in the paid rabbinate
> model?)

Since you raised the topic, I've long wondered why the entire body of
psak about rabbinic tenure should not be thrown out as one giant mess of
self-pleading.  How can any paid rabbi (or anyone with hopes of becoming
one) possibly pasken on the subject?

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper