[Avodah] Rambam ,Hilchot Hannuka

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 3 13:04:49 PST 2018

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 08:55:39PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: 2) The Rambam gives a long detailed description on how to properly
: say Hallel in beit knesset. However the last halacha in the chapter
: basically says "I've been in a lot batei knesset and everyone does
: something different'. Meaning - you want to do a musical Hallel,
: different tunes, no tunes, responsive, everyone together, whatever
: you like - it is fine.

But he bases this on metzi'us. So it would seem that you can only do a
musical Hallel if enought other minyanim are doing so for it to be
among the norms. You shouldn't invent your own.

I realize this means you are permitted only because and after others
wrongly committed poreitz geder. But that's how the Rambam's logic seems
to me.

: 3) The Rambam raises the possibility of a woman or child or slave
: reading Hallel and everyone repeating what she or he said word by
: word. However, he doesn't add in the famous curse given in the
: Gemara. Meaning - the Rambam didn't hold by  Tavo Ma'arah
: (spelling?) (at least not here).

Actually, he is limiting the role of Maqreih when one appoins a qatan,
eved or ishah.(Chanukah 3:14)  The responsive style of old is only when the
Maqreih is a bar chiyuvah.

So I scould see two opposite alternatives to (1) your take on the Rambam:

(2) He does hold of tavo me'ara very strongly, but only believes it was
said about responsive reading -- to the extent that the Rambam altogether
prohibits doing so. That would be having a sha"tz who isn't a bar
chiyuvah. But this, this is just using a human being as a siddur.

(3) The Rambam felt that tavo me'rarah was real, but didn't add much to
the *halachic* discussion. There is no behavioral change between knowing
you're stuck with a non-bar chiyuva helping you read and knowing exactly
how bad chazal considered it.

Micha Berger             Weeds are flowers too
micha at aishdas.org        once you get to know them.
http://www.aishdas.org          - Eeyore ("Winnie-the-Pooh" by AA Milne)
Fax: (270) 514-1507