[Avodah] Merchavyah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 3 12:23:25 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 09:58:50PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:> For one thing, the Keter Aram Tzovah has it as two words.
:
: Someone else (offlist) gave me that same answer, so I clearly failed
: to phrase my question clearly. Let's try again...
: But, l'maaseh, someone who is publishing *must* choose to print it one
: way or the other. Why would someone nowadays choose to follow the
: manuscripts rather than an almost-unanimous opinion in the gemara?

To double-down on the question, that same publisher likely writes
"Hallelukah" as one word, whereas KAZ has "Hallelu-Kah", with a maqaf
linking two words into one teivah.

So it's not an issue of strict obediance to the Mesorah, even over
Chazal.

BTW, lehalakhah they could both be right. The kosher text of a seifer
Torah, when there is doubt, is based on rov of existing sifrei Torah.
If the demographics of girsa'os changed between chasimas hashas and
the Baalei Mesorah (and didn't switch back since), perhaps we follow
the new rov, despite evidence in the gemara of Chazal preferring
something else.

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507