[Avodah] Foreshadow

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 3 12:12:16 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 09:57:46PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: Is the break up of the united kingdom (Israel and Yehuda) somehow
: foreseen in the brothers? ...

That seems to be the imiplication of choosing that particular haftarah
from Yechezqeil (37:15-28) to correspond to Vayigash.

As for the general question of foreshadowing...

Isn't that the Ramban's "maaseh avos siman labanim, that history
foreshadow's the future, and the particular description of history as
Hashem retells it in the chumash doubly so?

That said, I more naturally see it in terms of forward causality, rather
than simanim / foreshadowing. The argument that led to the split kingdoms
were caused by character traits that among their respective children
became cultural traits that led to the split. Interestingly, it's Yehudah
who leads the wrong side in Bereishis, but Ephraim who leads the wrong
side during bayis rishon. And it's Yehudah's ability to acknowledge
(which is his very name!) and Yosef's ability to forgive, which become
the cultural seeds that we'll need for messianic reunification.

More blatantly is Yiravam's paraphase of Aharon at the eigel.

Aharon presents the eigel and says
	Eileh elohekha Yisrael, asher he'elukha meiEretz Mitzrayim
Yiravam presents his two bulls with
	Hineih elohekha Yisrael, asher he'elukha meiEretz Mitzrayim

(Interestingly, it is Yir'avam who has a plurality of bovines, but Aharon
who uses the lashon rabbim of "eileh".)

The eigel planted the seeds of AZ into the culture that allow for the
abandonment of the real BHMQ.

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller