[Avodah] Historicity of Aggadta

H Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 18:55:13 PST 2018

On 12/26/2017 11:06 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
 > On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 11:41:54PM -0500, H Lampel wrote:
 > : The historical mentions the Rambam's makes, treating the plausible
 > : Midrashim as history without making any qualifications, indicates
 > : otherwise.
 >
 > It indicates that some medrashim which both didn't defy evidence or
 > his philosophy that the Rambam felt had a
 > literal point worth making. Not that plausible medrashim should be
 > assumed to be literal history.

You are saying that Rambam repeated in a historic context the Talmud's
plausible reports of events principally for ''a literal point worth
making,'' and not because he assumed them to be actual historical
events? But surely you agree that the Rambam  recorded Chazal's reports
of the Chanuka victory and oil miracle (Hilchos Chanuka 1-3), for
example, as actual history (see
https://www.torahmusings.com/2017/01/avraham-finding-hashem-spreading-word/
for more examples), and not only for a point whose literal (but possibly
historically false meaning) was worth mentioning!

And I refer you again to my point(posted Tue, 26 Dec 201, Message 10)
about the Rambam's felt need to identify which aggadic reports were
really reports of dreams and which were not. Historical veracity is
important.

But you are going even further than saying the Rambam did /not say/ that
plausible medrashim should beassumed to be literal history. You go on to
imply that he indicates the principal intent in all historical reports
is for their deepest truths, and that the historical veracity of even
plausible medrashim is irrelevant.

 > He spends so much time telling you they're all statements of the deepest
 > truths, and quoting Shelomo, that chakhamim conduct such discussions
 > via mashal and melitzah.
 >
 > The fact that some deepest truths has historical impact doesn't give us
 > license to ignore paragraphs of writing.

But the paragraphs of writing do not say what you attribute to them.
Your take hinges on the sentence (in commentary on Perek Cheilek) which,
after invoking Mishlei, reads,

    l'fi shedivrei hachachamim kulam /bedevarim ha-elyonim she-heim
hatachlis/ amnam heim chiddah umashal.

You apparently treat /bedevarim ha-elyonim she-heim hatachlis/ as the
predicate of the sentence, and you translate it:

     ''for /all the words of the sages/ are about lofty matters, which
form the ultimate concern, but they are [all expressed through] chiddah
and mashal.''

But I treat/bedevarim ha-elyonim she-heim hatachlis/as part of the
subject, modifying and restricting /divrei hachachamim kulam/. So the
passage translates:

    for the words of all the wise men /concerning the lofty matters,
    which form the ultimate concern,/ are truly [expressed in] chiddah
    and mashal.

Which did the Rambam mean?

Fortunately, there is a parallel passage in the Rambam's Hakdama
L'Payrush HaMishna that eliminates the mistake that he means that /all
the words of the sages/ are really intended only to convey lofty
matters. There he phrases the thought:

    V-al inyan zo ramaz Shlomo b-amro (Mishlei 1:6) ''lehavin mashal
    umelitza, divrei chachamim vechidasam.'' Umachmas seebos eilu kav-u
    haChachamim a''h /ess divreihem be-inyanim elokiyim/ beramazim.

    And to this idea Shlomo hinted/indicated by saying (Mishlei1:6) "to
    understand mashal and melitza, the words of wise men and their
    chiddos." And for these reasons (to hide lofty teachings from the
    undeserving, and to provide material for children and women to
    develop as their minds mature) the sages, a"h, established their
    words /concerning inyanim elokiyyim/ [not ''all their words''--ZL]
    through remazim.

What kind of remazim? The Rambam there elaborates and explains further:
/Lofty concepts/ are too precious to be shared with everyone. If baser
people heard them straight out, even if they would not dismiss or
ridicule these truths, they would not appreciate them as much as they
should. So Chazal would purposely use the device of framing specifically
and exclusively these /lofty concepts/ in a code language whose surface
meaning is implausible, to keep the lofty concept secret. It is better
that the baser people think the sages believed in the face value of the
code language and ridicule the sages for saying ridiculous things, then
that they should under-appreciate the lofty concepts. (An amazing
preference, but that's what he says!)

This devicewas specifically needed and reserved for the class of lofty
teachings that must be disguised. It was not necessary and not utilized
for less profound lessons, which are not to be confused with all other
teachings, which certainly possess valuable lessons, plausibly nistar as
well as nigleh, but are nevertheless not in the unique category of the
profound matters that demand hidden expression through such devices.
Surely the Rambam put in this latter category, for example, Chazal's
reports of the Chanuka victory and oil miracle, and did not consider it
to be an aggadita hiding Devarim haElyonim, as he plainly refers to both
as a historical events (Hilchos Chanuka 1-3).

So the passage in Cheilek cannot be presented as evidence that the
Rambam considered the historical veracity of historic-sounding reports
irrelevant.

Besides, taking Rambam's ''all the words of the sages'' without
qualification is necessarily overkill. Not all of Chazal's words,
certainly not the words in their halachic pronouncements and not even
all the words in their non-halachic comments, disguise inyanim
elokiyyim/elyonim. The Rambam takes as literal history the narratives in
the Talmud about who was ‎whose rebbi, and their times and locations,
and indeed invokes these facts in the ‎Mishneh Torah introduction to
support the legitimacy of the mesorah. (Much as ‎does Iggeress Rav
Saadia Gaon.) Historical veracity is important.

Moreover, when the Rambam presents the third, correct approach to
Chazal's statements, he distinguishes between those maamarim expressed
in implausible ways and can therefore have /only/ a nistar meaning, and
the others which are to be understood both on their nistar /and nigleh/
levels. He writes that those who follow this approach know that,

    einam medabrim hitoolim, v'nis'ameis lahem shedivreihem yeish lo
    nigleh v'nistar, v'ki heim b'chol mah she-omrim /min hadevarim
    ha-nimna-im dabru bahem b'derech chiddah umashal/...chiddah hu
    ha-davar she-hamekviun b'nistar /v'lo b'niglah mimenu/.

    [Chazal] do not speak nonsense, and they [the people of this
    category] are confident that [Chazal's] words have nigleh /and/
    nistar [NOTE: Rambam may mean some statements are intended
    completely for their nigleh and others completely for their nistar,
    or he may mean that all statements contain both nigleh and nistar.
    I'll operate with the latter--ZL]; and that they, /in all of their
    statements containing impossibilities,/ spoke in way of chiddah
    umashal...chiddah is a statement whose intent is /only in nistar/,
    and /not in any nigleh/ from it.

--Two types of statements. a. Those which are at face value implausible,
have /no intent/ in their nigleh, and which are intended /only/ for the
nistar, which must be hidden from the common people; and b. Those which
are intended for both their nistar /and/ their nigleh meanings, both of
which can be safely revealed among the masses. Again, Chazal used the
device of chiddah and mashal /only/ with maamarim whose /only/ intent is
(nistaric? ;) inyanei elokiyyim/devarim ha-elyonim.

So it may well be that Rambam holds that every maamar Chazal has a
(non-inyanei elokiyyim) nistar lesson to it. But he also holds that,
like the meshalim of Mishlei, they all also have a lesson intended by
the nigleh that the masses comprehend, the only exceptions being those
maamarei Chazal that are expressed in implausible terms. Those
implausible ones, and only those, were not intended for their nigleh at all.

Thus, in this very work, Rambam cites the Chazal ''gevuros geshamim
la-tsadikim u-l-reshaim , u-techiyyas ha-meisim la-tzadikkim bilvad''
for its nigleh face value (that although the wicked share the benefit of
rainfall with the righteous, they will not experience techiass
‎haMeisim), without claiming that it is really only intended as a mashal
v’chidah for some other ‎concept that must be disguised from the
masses.‎ Many other such examples can be found.

Going through Avraham ben HaRambam's classes of maasiyos in the Talmud
and his descriptions thereof, one sees that he considers much of
Chazal's reports of events to be meant factually, and considers it
important to know when Chazal's reports of events were factual.

When one is told an event occurred, the normal initial way to understand
it is that the speaker means to say that the event occurred as
described. Only if other factors legitimately negate its possibility,
does one say otherwise.Thus, again, Rambam's intent to identify which of
Chazal's reports were really reports of dreams. Historical veracity is
important.

 > ZL: Regarding the Midrashic reports that Adam and the Avos spoke
 > : Ivris/Lashon Hakadosh, which I assume you agree the Kuzari accepts
 > : as historical fact (which of course teaches in its historicity an
 > : important thing to know)... Is your default position that the Rambam
 > : doesn't care whether it's historically so?
 >
 >RMB: That's the default. Perhaps the Rambam agrees with the Rihal that
 > the history of Ivris is a significant statement, and would be meant
 > literally even under his view. Perhaps not. I can't guess, and am
 > willing to entertain anything.
 >
 > But there are also reports that they spoke Aramaic, or even
 > that Adam spoke all 70 leshonos. See the sources I gave in
 > <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol35/v35n141.shtml#11> as well as
 > Sanhedrin 38b (R Yehudah amar Rav: Adam haRishon spoke Aramaic). Not to
 > mention historical evidence.

None of us are saying that Chazal necessarily held that Adam and the
Avos spoke only Hebrew. And even if one maintains it's a two- or
three-way machlokess, two opinions attributing only one language to
Adam, no one says this maamar Chazal (not being implausible) was
intended only as mashal and chiddah and not historically. To maintain
that the Rambam would entertain taking the report as a chiddah umashal,
despite its being quite plausible at face value, requires proof. And as
I maintain I've shown (using the parallel passage in HLPH, among other
arguments) he only ascribes chiddah umashal disguising inyanei
elyonim/elokiyyim to maamaerei Chazal that are implausible on their
surface.And that's all he's talking about in all those paragraphs of
writing. Not maamarei Chazal reporting plausible events.

If there exists some indication the Rambam is noncommittal to the
historical factuality of plausible events reported by Chazal, it does
not come from these paragraphs of writing.

 > To complete repeating myself, my own instinct is to say that Adam
 > spoke some proto-Semitic, and therefore spoke a language which could be
 > considered both ancient Hebrew AND ancient Aramaic, or proto-everything
 > and thus an ancestor to all 70 languages. And this would explain the
 > medrashim as well as allow us to identify Adam's speech with Leshon
 > haQodesh.

That is one among several approaches to harmonize the statements. But
again, all the approaches (including yours, which is at odds with what
you attribute to the Rambam and with what you have been advocating)
assume that this maamar Chazal (which is not implausible) is meant
historically and is not meant only for metaphor, and certainly not a
mashal and chiddah for some other inyanim elyonim/elokiyyim that must be
hidden from the masses.

Zvi Lampel