[Avodah] We Are Held acCOUNTable

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue Mar 27 09:30:33 PDT 2018

As we know, Passover is the beginning which connects to Shavuot, the end (Atzeret).
This is the essential message of sefira. We are told in the Midrash (Vayikra Rabba):
Al y’dei mitzvat ha’omer, oseh Ha kadosh boruch Hu shalom bein ish l’ishto
“By means of the mitzvah of counting the Omer, God establishes peace between
husband and wife.” What a remarkable insight into human nature.

The same Midrash asks: “What was it that earned the Jewish People the right to inherit
the Promised Land? The answer: mitzvat ha’omer.”  They inherited the Promised Land
because they learned what counts and how to count, from freedom to redemption, from
independence to the rule of law and from liberty to a commitment to Torah.

Envy is the art of counting the other fellow’s blessings instead of your own.
Harold Coffin, famous author and columnist (1921-1993)