[Avodah] Please help me fund my book!

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Dec 24 14:11:31 PST 2017

My manuscript just went to the publishers. For the second time; I
retracted my first version because I didn't like the idea that the book
was all theory without any pragmatics. What's the value of exploring the
meaning of Torah and life based on haRav Shimon haKohein Shkop without
anything about how to align one's life with those ideals?

If you want some sense of what the book is about, the text that it's a
commentary / elaboration on is available at
http://www.aishdas.org/asp/ShaareiYosher.pdf -- although I have made
some improvements to the readability of that translation since that PDF.

If you would like to help me make this dream happen, whether because
you were always looking for a way to thank me for these email lists,
you like me or some of the things you've seen me write in the past,
you like Rav Shimon's hashkafah, or simply think *any* sefer that gets
more Orthodox Jews thinking about the big picture and why are we doing
it all is worth existing, please let me know.

Initial reactions are excited:

"This may IY'H attract some serious attention -- books like this don't
come out every day."

"Very chashuv, unique sefer."

"Wow. what an impressive work!"

"Right up our alley, as well. Torah, important -- but kind of unique. For
thinking people."

"I think the subject, approach and writing are gevaldik."

"I am excited as well, but they tell me the hardest part of the job
still lays ahead."

The sefarim market cannot consume books to the extent where publication
will make a profit. So, at least when it comes to the business and funding
models, all the houses expect fundraising and sponsorship to make a book
happen. But it is not "vanity press". The publisher adds significant value to
the book -- fact checking, editing, layout and other aesthetics, etc. The
publisher I am going with uses Feldheim as their distribution channel,
so my sefer could reach every Anglo sefarim store. And they have to pay
the people who do all that, not to mention feed their own families. They
put their name on the book, the book is their product. They need that
good name for future marketing and distribution. So, they won't take on
a book that would harm their business. They're willing to invest those
man-hours, and when done, to stand behind my work.

So, I have to rely heavily on word-of-mouth to raise that money. Including
hitting up everyone here on Areivim/Avodah.

I am using a foundation established in memory of my grandparents to
clear the money in a manner that is tax-deductible.

Email me <micha at aishdas.org> for details if you are interested in
chipping in.

Micha Berger             For those with faith there are no questions.
micha at aishdas.org        For those who lack faith there are no answers.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Rav Yaakov of Radzimin
Fax: (270) 514-1507