[Avodah] The Protection Offered by a Mezuza

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 25 12:30:23 PST 2017

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 05:58am IST, Ben Waxman wrote:
: On 12/25/2017 12:10 AM, Zev Sero wrote:
:> But the *mitzvah* of mezuzah protects regardless of how those
:> within the house "shape their lives".

: I seriously doubt that anyone could come up with any statistical
: analysis showing this point to be true.

(I won't bother arguing against Zev's inability to acknowledge the
existence of other shitos than his. "[I]t contradicts Chazal and millennia
of Jewish belief and practise." "Judaism tell us it's true" indeed. It's
a machloqes of the Rambam and the Ramach, with various teirutzim given
for the Rambam. Not open-and-shut at all.)

You want to statistically decide which hashkafah is true???

I lean the way you do. But it's a machloqes. I already pointed to
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol35/v35n142.shtml#07>, a
discussion of sources both ways. It would be weird to think it
boils down to a machloqes in metzi'us.

You remind me of a problem I have saying a particular line of Tehillim
(37:25) with kavanah, and it comes up at the appendix to bentching,
"Naar hayisi..." But I have seen a tzadiq whose kids miss meals and have
to beg. Haven't you?

The best I can do, rather than tamper with the minhag of saying it,
is to focus on the word "ne'ezav" -- so, his kids don't have food,
but it's not because HQBH abandoned the tzadiq. But I can't really feel
that's peshat in the pasuq. It allows me to saven with qavanah, but as
an answer -- the question is better than this resolution.

Bitachon and emunah that actually fit the data can be more challenging
than if we just shut off critical thought.

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter