[Avodah] Did the Patriarchs Speak Hebrew?

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 18:39:15 PST 2017

.

R' Seth Mandel wrote:
> There is no proof that anyone spoke Hebrew.

and R' Zev Sero responded:
> Rashi Bereshis 2:23

That Rashi does not mention Hebrew. What Rashi says there is that the
olam was created via "Lashon Hakodesh".

"Lashon Hakodesh" may or may not be the same thing as what we refer to
as "Hebrew". One cannot discuss this topic meaningfully unless he is
careful to make this distinction.

For a very in-depth (yet also readable and in English) treatment of
these and related topics, I recommend "Lashon Hakodesh - History,
Holiness, & Hebrew" by Rabbi Reuven Chaim Klein.

Akiva Miller