[Avodah] Midrash Tanchuma

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:33:10 PST 2017

I'd be grateful to know if anyone here is sufficiently familiar with different editions of midrash tanchuma to help me out.
I acquired a copy of the Tanchuma from a second hand book shop, very inexpensively, a number of years ago. I was a poor student at the time. It was printed in 5645, ie 1885, by one Shlomo Buber (Bober?) in Lvov from manuscripts acquired from Oxford and the Vatican.
I must admit I'd never paid much attention to these details until now, but It's just come to my attention that it my copy is hugely different to the standard one.
For example, this week in Vayigash, my copy has 12 simanim, compared to the 11 in the standard edition. But only 4 of these are the same (8-11 in mine corresponding to 9-12 in the standard), all the others are utterly different. By which I mean they are simply different midrashim, not just variants.
Can anyone shed light on such a huge difference between what seems to be the standard edition and mine?
Best wishes
Ben