[Avodah] zmanim

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 18:17:15 PST 2017

>From R'Micha:
> Li nir'eh there is value to the "in sync with nature" approach of Chazal
that we lose when we think about clock time rather than the cycles of
the sun (a/k/a the earth's spin).
​

​
Much the way we lose a lot of what the yamim tovim mean because we aren't
living in agrarian communities, and don't feel the joy of new wheat and
barley when we celebrate our birth as a people, or the joy of bringing
in the year's fruit when we celebrate how HQBH sustained us in the midbar. <
...or the meaning of "Yotzer Or", etc. because we're not davening those pre-
*Shma* *b'rachos* at the "right" time w/ a view of the brightening sky.