[Avodah] Rambam Hilchot Kiddush Hachodesh

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 19:40:54 PST 2017

.

(I don't know if this post will help understand Kiddush Hachodesh or
not. If yes, I'm glad I could help. If not, I apologize for the
distraction.)

R' Micha Berger asked:

> I am not even sure we know the scientific difference between
> chameitz and sirchah. Or even if there is one. Why is dough
> made with 100% juice a different thing than if the juice were
> diluted, or if it were all water? If we don't know what it is
> we should measure, how can we use science to measure it?

I agree that WE don't know the scientific difference between chametz
and sirchon, but it seems clear to me that such a difference does
exist, and Chazal understood it.

See the very beginning of Yerushalmi Challah, page 1b1 in the
ArtScroll English version. "Badku Umatz'u" - They tested various
grains, to see what happens when their flour is mixed with water. They
found that The Five Grains underwent "chimutz", while *most* other
grains fermented in the manner called "sirchon". (For some grains, the
tests were inconclusive.)

There is no Kabala From Sinai that defines these processes in terms of
the grains, the liquids, or anything else. If you knew what to look
for, you could look at a dough and tell whether it was chometz -
without even knowing the ingredients.

> I think it has to be something like that, because the lack of
> barley matzah isn't a modern issue. And the ability to measure
> rising doesn't require some modern measuring equipment. So,
> why was the question left unsolved by centuries of acharonim
> if it were resolvable?

The problem isn't in the equipment. It's knowing what to look for.

The tamay birds are all listed in Parshas Shmini. You don't need a
degree in genetics to determine whether the bird in your hand is on
the list or not. The only problem is that no one today knows what
those words mean. Just like we don't really understand the difference
between chimutz and sirchon. And no amount of pilpul among the
"centuries of acharonim" is gonna help.

Akiva Miller