[Avodah] Rambam Hilchot Shivtat Assur 3:3

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 11 09:33:33 PST 2017

On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 10:20:41PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: Rambam Hilchot Shivtat Assur 3:3: The Rambam writes a clal: A minhag
: can not cancel something that is assur. A minhag can only prohibit
: something that is permitted.

Isn't the very definition of a minhag ta'us one that promotes doing
an issur, or violating an asei? At least, violating an asei actively;
I don't know if I would include a minhag not to fulfil an asei besheiv
ve'al ta'aseh. That kind of thing would require more research.

Micha Berger             Worrying is like a rocking chair:
micha at aishdas.org        it gives you something to do for a while,
http://www.aishdas.org   but in the end it gets you nowhere.
Fax: (270) 514-1507