[Avodah] Your Ancestors

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 08:27:13 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

>     http://bigthink.com/stephen-johnson/why-youre-probably-
> related-to-nefertiti-and-confucius
>      Why You're Probably Related to Nefertiti, Confucius, and Socrates
>      December 7, 2017   by Stephen Johnson
>      [J]ust how far back do humans need to go to find a common ancestor
>      of their own: a person to whom all living people are related?
>
>      The answer, for people of European descent at least, is surprisingly
>      recent: 600 years. The common ancestor for every single person alive
>      on the planet today, no matter where, lived approximately 3,600 years
>      ago. That means Confucius, Nefertiti, Socrates, and any figure from
>      ancient history that had children, is in some way your ancestor.

Unless I'm missing something, those last two sentences are a huge non
sequitur.

I have a slightly different take-away from the article: it says that
everybody has a common ancestor who lived approximately 3,600 years ago.
Isn't that exactly what the Torah says?