[Avodah] The 13 middos

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 02:27:17 PST 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 07:15:42AM +0200, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> : See the Mishne Lamelech avadim 3:9 where he states that it is either or
> and
> : the 2 styles cannot be mixed, and his main proof is from the Gemara
> Shavuos
> : 4b where the Gemara asks on Rebbe how can he darshen a ribui umiut like R
> : Akiva if in general he darshens Klal Uprat...
>
> And yet the conclution on 5a is that he holds like R' Yishma'el's beis
> medrash who holds the derashah is not kelal uperat but ribui umi'ut
> ("ribah umi'at"). R Yisma'el, the one who codified the rules of kelal
> uperat is the one who here uses ribui umi'ut!?

The Gemara says that this case is an exception because it is not written in
the normal way of a Klal uprat and therefore in this case ONLY Rebbe can
learn a ribui umiut but in general someone who learns Klal uprat could not
use ribui umiut.

> : See also tosafos nidda 30a s.v. Ushma mina where tosafos says that we
> : pasken that we darshen Klal uprat and not ribui umiut...
>
> Nidda 30a "ushma minah tevilah bizmanah mitzvah" is about holding
> like Beis Shammai, and doesn't mention derashos. The previous d"h,
> "shema minah telas" (a near match) also isn't on topic. Could you
> please fix the citation for me?

See the last 2 lines in the Tosafos that I quoted, Tosafos states "d'darish
ribui umiut, V'Kayma lan d'darshinan klali uprati" Tosafos paskens that we
darshen klal uprat not ribui umiut, that strongly implies that they are
mutuallt exclusive