[Avodah] Letzareif

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 4 13:34:04 PST 2017

In Bereishis Rabb 44:1, Rav says
    Lo nitenu hamitzvos ela letzarei bahen es haberios
    And what does it matter to HQBH who shechtas from the throat and
    who shechts from the back of the neck?
    Havei: lo nitenu hamitzvos ela letzarei bahen es haberios

Letzareif is a metaphor of melting. The problem is, whether we mean
smelting / refining, or to meld to thing together (as in "mitzrareif")?

Are we being told that mitzvos were given to refine people, or to connect
them? Or is the word chosen in order to intentionally carry both meanings?

Micha Berger             If you're going through hell
micha at aishdas.org        keep going.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Winston Churchill
Fax: (270) 514-1507