[Avodah] Gid ha'nasheh and 'therefore'

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Nov 26 15:09:41 PST 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:37:13AM +0200, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: On 11/26/2017 4:20 AM, Ben Rothke via Avodah wrote:
: >In the coming week's parsha, it has the story of Yaakov wrestling
: >and then concludes:

"Al kein lo yokhlu BY es gid hanasheh."

: >I am trying to figure out the connection between the wrestling
: >injury and klal Yisroel not eating gid hanasheh.

: >The term '[al kein]' implies consequently, to which I don't see the
: >consequence.

: I don't think al ken denotes causation.  In most cases, it seems to
: mean "How correct it is that..."  For example, the two times we're
: told "al ken", the city is called Beersheva.  They can't both be the
: cause.

Why not?

It could be that each were necessary but insufficient causes, so
that the name "Be'er-Sheva" is the consequence of both being true.
Or it could be that each were sufficient cause, and the name
Be'er-Sheva was justified by either alone -- but equally so. And
thus the city's name represents both.

But to answer RBR's question, I don't think al kein implies sufficient
causality. Rather, because of the fight, HQBH had an opportunity to
turn eating thigh meat into a ritual that reminds one of the fight,
and thus of the Jew's ability to act on the level of (in the sense of:
interact with) angels. Without the fight, the mitzvah would lack that
historical symbolism; so it's a cause, but of a different sort than it
seems from your question that you are thinking of.

Micha Berger             It is our choices...that show what we truly are,
micha at aishdas.org        far more than our abilities.
http://www.aishdas.org                           - J. K. Rowling
Fax: (270) 514-1507