[Avodah] sefer torah's path

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 17:51:31 PST 2017

.
R' Joel Rich asked:

> From R’ Aviner: Bringing the Torah to People to Kiss
> Q: Is it permissible to bring the Sefer Torah in the Shul
> towards people who want to kiss it?
> A: No. This is a disgrace to the Sefer Torah. They should
> approach the Sefer Torah. Piskei Teshuvot 134:6.
>
> I have been to more than a few shuls that particularly on
> Shabbat take the long road – any ideas on who they are
> relying on? (not to mention those who lower the sefer torah
> so the kids can kiss it too)

Maybe the masses simply disagree with the logic of the Piskei
Teshuvot? Maybe people feel that bringing the Torah to Amcha is NOT a
disgrace?

Personally, I can easily understand that lowering it could be a
bizayon, but what's wrong with taking the long way around? If the
short route is taken, then (depending on the shul's layout) it is
possible (or even probable) that many (or most) will simply be unable
to get close enough to kiss it -- and if this is true on the men's
side of the mechitza, it is even more true on the women's side!

There are SO many things that we allow for no reason other than
allowing the people to show their love and kavod for the Torah!!!
Compared to the bells that ring on Shabbos, or the multitude of aliyos
on Simchas Torah, this seems exceeding minor, in my opinion.

Akiva Miller