[Avodah] HKBH Rebukes Avraham for Sara's Shortcomings

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at mail.gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:30:23 PST 2017

continuing from prev post -
> Sara laughs [18:12]  Gd is not happy

> [18:13] HKBH confronts Avraham,

Preserving harmony [Yevamos 65b, in this case between Araham and Sara]
compels HKBH to lie to Avraham [HKBH reported that Sara said, "I am
too old to have children", when in fact she said, "my master is old"]
and yet HKBH, rather than remaining silent to preserve peace, reports
Sara's indiscretion to Avraham.

Furthermore, aside from being likely to cause strife between Avraham and
Sara, this report is a horribly demeaning Lashon Hara. Scoffing at HKBH's
ability to grant her a child, in spite of it being uttered by what might
easily have been described as a foolish visitor, is a blight upon Sara
which HKBH held against her. And she understood the correctness of the
criticism and felt shamed, as we see that she [apparently] instinctively
and immediately denied it [18:15]

It seems clear that HKBH reported this to Avraham, rather than directly or
indirectly to Sara, not only to correct Sara but also to rebuke Avraham.
HKBH was criticising Avraham for Sara's shortcoming.