[Avodah] Psak source wanted

Motti Yarchinai motti.yarchinai at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 15 01:00:51 PDT 2017

Dear Avodah members,

Can anyone help me with a source for this psak:
It is similar to what the Rambam wrote in Hilchot Kiddush Hachodesh, saying that in all calendric matters, we follow the lead of the chachmei eretz yisrael, and even though the anshei hagolah know the calculations used by them, it is not on our own calculations that we rely, we only use those calculations because we know that they are the same as the calculations used by the chachmei eretz yisrael, and we must all follow the rulings of the latter, in all calendric matters.

Another posek (possibly the Tifferet Yisrael in Shvilei Harakia, but I'm not sure of that), writes something similar but couched in even more dramatic terms. The following is not a verbatim quote (since the original is in Hebrew) but something very close to it:
"And even if the residents of eretz yisrael are all ignoramuses and peasants, and the authorities of chutz la'aretz are great scholars and knowledgable in Torah and halachah, in calendric matters we follow the peasants and ignoramuses, not the scholars of chutz la'aretz."
Does anyone recognise this and remember where it's from?
Thank you.Motti