[Avodah] Eruv Tavshilin - who makes it?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 10 06:18:05 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 06:47:36AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: You write about "the fact that one must ask the rabbi", but I never
: saw such a halacha. One does not need to do any sort of action at all,
: not even speaking. All one needs is to be aware that the
: rabbi/neighbor had him in mind. So what is being accomplished?

Beqitzur: "be aware" is sufficient for heker.

Can't we ask the same thing of a neighborhood eiruv? How many people
think about the eruv every week?

The Rambam (Shevisas YT 6:2) seems to me to be the reason for calling
eiruv tavshilin an "eiruv" is merely by comparison to eruv chatzeiros.
Both are hekerim: There (ECh), so that people would thing that carrying
from reshus to reshus is mutar on shabbos. Here (ET), that it is okay
to cook on YT even if it's not for YT.

Awareness that the rabbi (or whomever) had me in mind means I am thinking
about eiruvin and there is a recognition (heker) that there is an issur.

It seems the Rambam holds like R' Ashi (that ET is to reinforce melakhah
on YT) over Rava (it's to reinforce Shabbos prep). But even according
to Rava, that moment of awareness of the rabbi's eruv is sypposed to
reserve as a reminder to make something nice for se'udos Shabbos.

I would agree with Zev that the plausibility requirement is quite low,
as all we're doing is a mnemonic.

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner